Tuesday, September 2, 2008

the day after

It looks like we dodged a bullet this time, for lack of a better cliche, but there are no reports of flooding in the Lower Ninth Ward. Darren and I are going to try and get closer to the city today, though it's still blustery and rainy in northern Louisiana where we are. Of course, that also depends on finding a room closer to home. No word yet on when people are going to be allowed to get back into the city, but we'll be back in as soon as we get the word.

A couple of other things I wanted to mention - I've been doing all this running around with a broken ankle, and I want to thank all the kind people who have held doors, cups, plates and everything else for me to make it easier to make my way around, folks have been great. Secondly, I want to commend the city of New Orleans and the state of Louisiana for their response to this storm and for facilitating the evacuation. It's too bad it took a tragedy like Katrina to wake people up to the danger and the need for decisive action, but the lesson has been learned and from what we've seen, everything worked well.

Now, if we can just manage to avoid being hit by any of the next five storms lining up in the Atlantic this week, we'll be okay.

No comments: